Here's what to do when for a successful big day away.
9 to 12 months out
- Establish your budget.
- Set the date.
- Select and begin researching the location.
- Book the ceremony/reception site.
- Look into local marriage-license requirements and obtain the necessary documentation.
- Verify that your passports are current; if not, get them renewed.
- Begin making your guest list and gathering addresses.
- Hire a wedding planner or contact your site's in-house coordinator.
- Make appointments with any U.S. vendors you may be flying over.
- Visit the destination (if making a preliminary trip).
- Consider purchasing wedding/travel insurance.
6 to 9 months out
- Reserve your room and guest accommodation blocks.
- Purchase your plane tickets.
- Hire local vendors and an officiant.
- Set up your wedding Web site.
- Send save-the-date cards.
- Order your invitations.
- Register for gifts (optional).
- Shop for and order your dress.
- Choose and order the groom's and bridal party's attire.
4 to 6 months out
- Select the reception menu.
- Shop for wedding rings.
- Plan the rehearsal dinner and any other surrounding events.
- Book your big-day beauty experts.
- Research and make honeymoon arrangements.
2 to 4 months out
- Mail your wedding invitations.
- Start planning the ceremony/writing your vows.
- Confirm immediate family and bridal-party members have made their travel arrangements.
- Shop for shoes, accessories and honeymoon/vacation wear.
1 to 2 months out
- Order wedding favors, attendant gifts and welcome-bag contents.
- Have your final dress fitting.
- Start working on a seating chart.
- Confirm your travel arrangements.
- Release any unnecessary rooms.
2 to 4 weeks out
- Double-check details with all wedding vendors.
- Finalize your wedding-day itinerary.
- Assemble favors and/or welcome bags.
- Schedule manicure, pedicure, facial and waxing appointments.
- Begin packing for the wedding and honeymoon.
- Apply for your marriage license.
- Meet with your officiant and coordinator.
- If using a professional stylist, do a trial hair/makeup run.
- Have your dress steamed.
- Distribute welcome bags.
- Relax and have fun!